Must do in Montenegro
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Blog
13 things you have to do in Montenegro.
Montenegro is a small country with a huge variety of interesting and impressive places. Most of them are just 10-30 minutes or few hours by car away from the each other. Our «must do» list certainly will help you.
1. Early in the morning come to Milocher park( 6km away from Budva) and feel all the beauty of pines, cypresses, eucalyptuses and olive trees. The park is made in French style. You can reach the royal Milocher beach, ask for lounger prices ( app. 100€/package) and continue walking. You can turn right on the seaside and reach a high cliff, walk through a scenic path and reach famous island-hotel Sveti-Stefan (app. 500m).
2. You can learn a few montenegrin words. Hvala means thanks, dobro- good, chao — hello/goodbye, dobr dan- good afternoon , molim- you are welcome ,kako si/ste — how are you? , koliko koshta?- how much? ,shta e ovo — what is it? , lepo- beautiful, jurka- party.You have to remember that «right» means «straight» and if you need to turn right, you have to say «desno». Also you have to learn the right pronunciation.In most places people will understand your language, but if you learn a few words, you will have an opportunity to get yourself deeper in the culture.
3. Let’s switch to drink tasting. Classical alcohol drinks: red dry wine «Vranac» ( we recommend a bit more expensive Vranac Pro Corde) ; white dry wine «Crstac» ; beer « Nikshichko» ; different types of raki (local moonshine).Coffee is great everywhere in Montenegro. But finding a good tea is quite a problem.
4. Go to Kotor (a city protected by UNESCO) and get back in Middle Ages. It’s easy to get lost in the labyrinth of narrow streets, also here you can sightsee the old buildings. It’s surprising that people still live here.You can get back to the square near Seagate. Forward to Siempre cafe to drink the tastiest coffee in Kotor.
5. Have a rest and forward to fortress wall, it’s length is 4,5 km. The round walk with stops will take about 3 hours. At the top you will get your reward- a spectacular view on the most beautiful bay in Europe — Kotor bay.
6. Visit the only Adriatic man-made Bogorodica island with a church — it’s right in front of Perast city.There’s a legend telling us about sailors who drown turkish ships and threw stones in water for about 200 years to set a fundament for the island. This place is really beautiful and it definitely wont’t remain you indifferent.
7. Rent a car and go to the north of the country to see the real Montenegro. Experience your driving mastery on high-cliff narrow serpentine. Visit Moracha and Tara river canyon( only Grand Canyon in USA is deeper than Tara), Đurđevića Tara bridge , Pivsko jezero , Durmitor National Park, different springs and valleys.
8. Enjoy the spectacular Montenegro views. Choose — paragliding over mountains and sea ; Tara river rafting ; zip-line over divide ( the highest one is near Đurđevića Tara bridge , the slope takes about 45 seconds and the speed can reach 50-100 km/h.
9. On a sunny day take a car and go to Lovcen National Park. On your way you can visit the old Montenegro town- Cětinje. After that you can climb the Lovcen mountain, visit the Negosha mausoleum, which is on top of the mountain. There’s an incredible view and you will have the whole Montenegro on your hand.On your way stop by observation deck 42.400768, 18.793452. Here you can enjoy one of the greatest views on Kotor Bay.
10. Spend entire day at Skadar lake. You can rent a boat with fishing poles, fish a bit and after all you can take your catch to an authentic cafe and they will cook it for you. Also you can visit the largest bird sanctuary in Europe, different monasteries, swim in cleanest fresh water.
11. Forward to South Montenegro, close to Albania boundary. During rush season you can feel solitary among sands of 13km Great Beach. After that go to Ada-Bayana, a famous Yugoslavian resort. Eat in local fish restaurant. For you to know, the most part of the island is controlled by nudists. So pull back the curtains of prejudice and get rid of your swimsuit!
12. We also recommend you to visit oyster farm in Drazin Vrt ( landmark- a pink Audi). Order some clams, oysters and house wine. You can also swim on a tiny beach and ride a kayak.
13. Finally, catch and feel the Montenegrin «polako». Actually, this word doesn’t have an accurate translation. It means: don’t make a fuss, slow down and relax. Stop hurrying, take your time to enjoy last moments in Montenegro.